The Case for Microsoft 365 Business Premium
For small and medium-sized businesses, choosing the best Microsoft 365 subscription(s) can be bewildering. Of course, cost is a very important consideration but so is selecting the right package of features to meet the productivity and security requirements of your business.
At the top of the enterprise heap is the immersive, but eye watering expensive, Microsoft 365 E5 plan. This plan is designed for larger enterprises with comprehensive security and compliance requirements. For SMBs, Microsoft has created a top-tier Microsoft 365 Business Premium plan with all productivity and security features of E5 that SMEs should care about.
For any business with less than 300 employees without strict compliance requirements, Microsoft 365 Business Premium is what we normally recommend. In particular, the security and device management features included with this plan make it standout.
Unlike Microsoft 365 Business Standard or other business class plans, Business Premium includes Microsoft Intune. Intune is an endpoint management tool that allows centralized control over Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux devices. This includes automating deployments and enforcing security measures on company and non-company devices alike. In short, an end-point management tool like InTune is a must in today’s mobile and BYOD workplace.
All Microsoft plans include a base version of Microsoft Azure Active Directory. Azure Active Directory provides essential identity services critical to authenticating and authorizing users before they can access any business systems, applications or data. Unlike Business Standard or other business class plans, Business Premium includes a key Active Directory security feature called Conditional Access.
Conditional Access allow if-then policies to be applied when they log in based on the end-users group membership, device, location, target application, and other factors. This is a powerful security tool and a critical component of the Zero Trust security stance all businesses should be adopting to protect their businesses.
Check out Microsoft Azure Active Directory
Microsoft Defender for Business
Only Microsoft 365 for Business Premium includes Microsoft Defender for Business. Microsoft Defender for Business is an endpoint security solution that integrates with Microsoft Intune to better protect your business from ransomware, malware, phishing, and other threats.
Full Defender for Business feature list:
- Next-generation protection (antivirus/antimalware protection on devices together with cloud protection)
- Attack surface reduction (network protection, firewall, and attack surface reduction rules)
- Endpoint detection and response (behavior-based detection and manual response actions)
- Automated investigation and response (with self-healing for detected threats)
- Microsoft Defender Vulnerability Management (view exposed devices and recommendations)
- Cross-platform support for devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android)
- Centralized management and reporting (Microsoft 365 Defender portal)
Learn more about Microsoft Defender for Business
More Security Features
In addition to Microsoft Defender for Business, Microsoft 365 for Business Premium includes the following security feature which, except for baseline Exchange Online Protection, are not included in Business Standard or other business level plans. These security features include advanced email protection and data loss prevention to stop unauthorized actions such as printing, viewing, copying and downloading content, based on the organization’s policy.
- Exchange Online Protection (antiphishing, antispam, antimalware, and spoof intelligence for email)
- Microsoft Defender for Office 365 Plan 1 (advanced antiphishing, real-time detections, Safe Attachments, Safe Links)
- Auto-expanding archiving (for email)
- Azure Information Protection Premium Plan 1 (protection for sensitive information)
Microsoft Defender for Business Plans & Pricing
|Microsoft 365 Plan||Business Premium||Business Standard|
|Price per user, per month||$28.20||$16|
|Exchange Online||50 GB||50 GB|
|Exchange Archive Mailbox||1.5 TB||50 GB|
|Office Web Apps||Yes||Yes|
|Office Desktop Apps||Yes||Yes|
|OneDrive||1 TB||1 TB|
|Azure AD Premium 1||Yes||No|
TruPoint is the Canadian leader in secure, and compliant work-from-anywhere IT solutions. Contact Us to schedule a free trial of TruWorkspace™ for your business and find out how TruPoint can help with all your IT needs.